I have installed Confluence on a production system having a proxy. The browser has no problems accessing the Atlassian Plugin Exchange site and I have been able to install plugins manually.
However, Confluence Admin is not able to look for updates or new plugins to be installed from within the wiki.
It tells me
The Atlassian Plugin Exchange server is not reachable
(which is not the problem of the APE server since it is reachable from another wiki at another site) and
An unexpected error occurred. Please review the protocols.
Sometimes also
java.sql.ConnectionError: Timout (or so...)
This page
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM012/Problems+Connecting+to+the+Atlassian+Plugin+Exchange
talks about permanently disabeling the connection but I'd rather try to get it working.
I saw proxy settings mentioned as a possible source of the problem:
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM012/Upgrade+tab+shows+java.net.ConnectException
Can anybody please explain how I (well, better the admin) should configure the proxy settings of Confluence (=> Tomcat?) to be able to access the plugin exchange?
Matthias Basler