a team member began a list of links (to internal pages) - I needed to append the list. The list started out single spaced but every time I hit the Enter key my text is double spaced, is there a way to edit this?
Check what current format is set. Is it in a "Heading"? "Paragraphed"?
Thanks for the reply - I seem to be in paragraph, there are 6 levels of headings, a preformatted, and a quote mode, what mode should I be in?
The Paragraph format should do the trick. Alternatively, instead of pressing ENTER at the end of a line, press "SHIFT + ENTER" to disable all sorts of formatting.
not sure why paragraph mode is giving me doubt-spacing; but SHIFT + Enter works like a charm - thank you very much. Some boards allow assigning Kudos - don't see that here but you earned them, thanks again - lmd2
When typing shift enter does single spacing, where enter does double spacing. This works in word and wordpad also.
Here is a way to paste single spacing
Use a macro called "no format"So be where you want to paste in the confluence document. Type a left curly bracket (uppercase the left square bracket), then start typing no format. Select the "no format" option. This creates a box that when you paste single spaced text it stays single spaced in the box
Is this seriously how to change the spacing? Create a macro or use keystroke combinations? This is like Wordstar from 1988. This should be as easy as a menu bar button or option from a dropdown, not some archaic way of changing things.
There's nothing more annoying than performing a copy and paste into this relic than to have to go all the way through it and change the spacing because by default it wants to double space everything.
100% agreed. Why the HELL would you assume someone wants double spaces every time they hit enter - that is absolutely f-ing insane. I really really hate it.
Absolutely agreed, here too. Mine always seems to happen when pasting into a code block, which is supposed to be all preformatted text. Confluence will:
1) change the pasted text to paragraph format (!?!@!?)
2) screw up all the rest of the code block with wide line spacing.
This needs to be better resolved. It's been a decade, now. It makes me want to keep all of my pages in Notepad++ or something, instead of constantly fighting this.
Tried {no format... in Confluence when using Meeting Notes but did not get a "no format" option.
I did not get "no format.." either
I completely agree as well. This is the greatest annoyance I have with all of their products. What world defaults to double spacing?
So we are back in the world when software houses produced what they thought the user should need and did not listen to what they actually needed.
Moreover, when many users complain about this they open tickets and then just close them giving only weak excuses as to why.
Offering the solution of "Shift + Return" is pathetic!
For those who are interested, it is more efficient (which doesn't mean it is efficient - just less of a pain) to type your test in Notepad and paste into Jira. That retains single line spacing and single spacing for carriage returns.
So, I have since discovered that if you have the same process as I do; copy from email and paste, you can right mouse click and “Paste as Plain Text” and the double return is not added.
Pasting into Notepad, then into Jira does eliminate the double spacing, thanks. Pretty surprising that this has yet to be resolved by Jira after so many years.
Ivan, thank you.
so many year pass...the spacing design mistake <br><br><br>just stupid shift+enter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agree, but now I can't get lines to have different size fonts. Still tilting....
I did not either.
Just here to add a straw the pile. Why did Atlasssian design a feature when the Enter key does one thing when creating a ticket, then does another when editing the same ticket!?If it's never going to be fixed at least offer a logical explanation for the decision? We need closure haha
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.