After spending weeks looking at options for a ticketing solution, YouTube videos on different products for my small 400 employee company, I messaged support with my silly questions in excitement and I was so excited to get Jira Service Desk installed and and use it. There is no ticketing system in place at this time.
Unfortunately my excitement turned into frustration after spending a whole day today trying to just get it installed on my server from scratch. The only thing I did differently was try to make it connect to my MySQL db hosted on a different server and I just could not get past the dreaded "Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" message while configuring database at first launch. First someone said that this might be due to re-distributables and then it might be due to java not pointing correctly and then maybe the MySQL connected (mentioned in the manual) needs to be downloaded and copied to the bin folder, and list goes on.
Why, I ask why is there even an install process when it doesn't go through some sort of check process before even installing itself into a folder? Whatever happened to pre-install requisites check? So here I am looking at config check java and all sorts of batch files now.. I am going to step away for a few hours and give it one last try tonight before going to sleep.
Call me dumb, point fingers or laugh; I am just burned out now. It was great and wish I could have really tried it but if this is the experience now then I am worried what will happen in future. Somethings are just meant to be.