I have finally got around to trying to make the "Release with Build" Jira functionality work with our Bamboo builds for tagging a release. However, I cannot seem to get it to tag the build with the Jira release name/version even though I think I have set things up correctly.
Environment:
I have a Build Plan, with two stages, with the second stage set as a manual stage for "Tag and Release".
Within the second stage, I have a "Repository Tag" Task configured, with the relevant repository, and the Tag name set to "RELEASE-${bamboo.jira.version}".
After triggering the build from Jira, using the "Release with new build" functionality (after working around the very limited build selection by modify the HTML value for the check box to the correct build), the build stage was correctly triggered and ran.
The source was tagged, but the tag name was literally "RELEASE-${bamboo.jira.version}".
Here's an extract from the build log for the manual stage:
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:08:48 Starting task 'Tag the source code with the Jira version details' of type 'com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs:task.vcs.tagging'
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:08:50 Warning: Permanently added '[127.0.0.1]:44649' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:09:15 Git LFS: (0 of 0 files, 85 skipped) 0 B / 0 B, 790.86 MB skipped
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:09:17 To ssh://127.0.0.1:44649/XXXXX/XXXXXXX.git
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:09:17 * [new tag] RELEASE-${bamboo.jira.version} -> RELEASE-${bamboo.jira.version}
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:09:17 Git LFS: (0 of 0 files, 85 skipped) 0 B / 0 B, 790.86 MB skipped
simple 24-Jun-2020 20:09:17 Finished task 'Tag the source code with the Jira version details' with result: Success
sAs you can see, it created a nice tag, with a not so nice name, and certainly not the intended name.
I should also add that I have other "Repository Tag" Task configured using other Bamboo build variables, and they substitute the variables in without issue.
And now my question: Any ideas what I am doing wrong, or if this functionality works properly?
Thanks,
Robert