I have been looking for information online about our use case, and I am surprised that I can't find others with this challenge.
We have stories, bugs and test (Zephyr) issue types in our JIRA instance. Tests are linked to stories and bugs through a link type called "Is testing/Is tested by". We are using Peer Test Cycles during iterations/sprints, and when the release is closing in we run several test cycles in the hardening period. These test cycles may have different scope, meaning that there will be a different set of issues being tested for each of them.
We need to be able to simplify the test cycle configuration, assigning the correct tests to the correct test cycle. From an end user perspective, the best way to do this would be to search for stories/bugs that are in the scope of the coming test cycle, and based on the filter result (remember; still looking at stories and bugs, not tests) I can create a test cycle with all the tests connected to the listed stories/bugs.
Is this wishful thinking, or are we using the plugin all wrong? How does other customers use the test issues in relation to the stories and bugs?