Let me start by saying that I've been using Jira for years with both scrum and kanban projects for software development. I consider myself fairly competent in its base operation and I am now trying to bolster our long term planning by utilizing Portfolio which JUST turned into Advanced Roadmaps.
I must say that although there seems to be a lot of written documentation I am not finding it very helpful. I've been spinning my wheels for days trying to understand how things should work and what needs to be done to get a plan that looks anything like the examples. Are there ANY other resources or tutorials out there other than the "documentation?" I've found a couple of videos, some only a couple of months old, but they all seem to use a UI that no longer exists.
I've got a ton of specific questions, but I'll start with just one for now. I am attempting to follow the guide for including an Initiative issue type found here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/configuring-hierarchy-levels-998650959.html
I have created the issue type and I mapped the issue type in roadmaps. I used the "Alternative instructions to create a new project just for holding the Initiatives.
Alternatively, you can consider creating a dedicated project, and then create all the initiatives you need in that project. You can then link the epics across all your projects to the Initiatives in that dedicated project for initiatives.
Maybe I'm linking my epics improperly, nothing explicitly says HOW to link the Epics, but I end up with this view of my plan when choosing the initiative scope.
You might also notice that all of the fields are blank. Not sure what else I need to, but this does not match the example.
I think I like the idea of Advanced Roadmaps, but it is NOT intuitive and thus far the documentation has proven to be very frustrating.
Any guidance on how to try and understand this functionality would be greatly appreciated!