I have been a Confluence administrator for a large organisation for 5 years. I was hired to tidy up their huge environment which they have been using for many years.
When the environment was first installed, many of the plugins on the Atlassian Marketplace was free, The engineer installed a handful of those tools to meet business requirements. We also purchased a handful of tools alongside those.
Over the years our page authors have been using macros from the free plugins. We have become reliant on those to display and organise our content. If we uninstall the plugin, information is greatly affected and we are not able to get it back unless we reinstall the tool.
As someone who needs to justify spending to their finance department, I feel trapped every time one of those free plugins change to a paid licence. Some drastically go up by such a huge percentage. We really do feel trapped when this happens especially when you compare our annual cost with Atlassian from 5 years ago.
It forces me into making difficult decisions to either waste endless resources, training and effort to get all our page authors to take off those macros from potentially thousands of pages or force us into purchasing the products. Either way, it requires a lot of planning with management.
I strongly believe Atlassian now need to start protecting their customers from vendors on the Atlassian Marketplace. I understand why vendors need to change their licencing plan but they need to set the expectation from the very beginning and make it clear.
Here is what I believe must change to start protecting your customers:
- If a vendor releases a free plugin, they must keep it free for life. If there is a need to start charging for the plugin to meet customer demand, the free tool must become a lite version with no new features made for that tool. Only security and support updates for future versions should be required.
- Atlassian *must* make it very clear to customers that plugins aren't guaranteed to remain free for life. A warning must be presented notifying them of this to give them the choice to commit to using that tool.
- Atlassian *must* give their customers a way to easily take content from a wrapped macro so that it isn't hidden with the 'Unknown Macro' content.
Just these simple changes will make a huge difference.
Take a look at the below photos. There is no where to say the licence could change for that free plugin. It could increase by over 1000% in 2/3 years time when your customers become reliant on it:
(I have removed vendor information as it is not targeted against a specific company)


Any way I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.