It's very clear from the number of questions raised that Atlassian Just Will Not allow the separation of a story into multiple Sprints. Because that's just not how Scrum works.
So rather than argue in the existing tickets or raise yet another ticket arguing the point, I want to know how the Atlassian Way is supposed to work.
Background:
Our team is multidisciplinary. We have BAs, Architects, Coders, Testers and Network Admins. Our workflow takes a ticket through the process of analysis, design, build, QA and release. Currently we create an Issue and move it through that process. But I'd like to move to planning a Sprint using JIRA Agile.
We really don't want to create a ticket for requirements gathering on a BA workflow and another ticket for architecture on another workflow and another ticket for build on another workflow and another for test on another workflow and a final ticket for release on yet another workflow. So I thought about it and decided that we could just include subtasks on each ticket. That way we can include the architecture planning in one sprint and then the build in the next and the test in the next.
But I'm not allowed to add sub tasks to a sprint. And if I add the issue to a sprint and only work on part of it, then the sprint is too big at the start and fails at the end.
So please tell me: how does Atlassian expect me to work? Does every story become an Epic just so I can get an issue assigned?
If we have to complete entire issues (stories) in a single sprint, we'll have the architects working for a few days, then the coders, then the testers with a lot of downtime for each group.
It's clear from Atlassian's responses that every single requester is wrong about how it should work. So please ... tell me how it should work.