JIRA 5.x:
Any ideas how to rename a custom field name? I'm not talking about the custom field values - it's about the name of the custom field itself.
e.g. you add a custom field with field name "Database" ( like the sample https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field here - and you start to populate the field with values.
Now you had to rename it to "Flat-Files" because JIRA admin gets a wrong information from the project manager - and you had to keep the values already stored in this field.
So how to do it ...?
Admin -> Custom field list -> find the custom field -> click Edit on that line. You'll be able to rename it there, no effect on the rest of the data, just the name
Did you try editing it https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-EditingaCustomField
?
Hi,
It is simple.. In short
If you are keeping the same type then just simply edit the name as other users have described.
If you need change the type.. then you need to created another custom field "Flat-Files".. then identify all values used by old custom field "Database" (using Search).. copy value from "Database" field to the new one and stop using wrong field.
Copy value from one field to another can be done by using script runner plugin..
https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-CopyCustomFieldValues
Or a post function added to JIRA Suite Utilities or JIRA Toolkit plugins..
I hope that helps.
Regards,
Mirek
AAAHRRGH - forest and trees issue.
I always tried the "Configure" option instead of the "Edit" option just below the "Configure" options ... :-}
Classic PEBCAC / RTFM combination ...
Thanks!!!A-M
No :-( .... forest / trees ... you know ..?
<mumble> years as a Jira Admin, and I still do exactly that. :-)
Hi to all,
Before you start changing Custom Field Names, I engourage you all to realise the consequences this can have. Therefore read this wonderfull article before you promise to make, or worse, make changes!
http://atlassian.techsolcom.ca/fr/actualites/entry/4-cases-when-jira-administrators-must-learn-to-say-no
@[deleted]I am able to edit the custom field name which also updates the field name in the old tickets but does not add any history log for name change.
I there any extra step required to add the rename change log in history?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.