On an existing issue, how can you link an attachment to a comment (on the same issue)? Can you please explain?
Same for me / good example of the inferiority of the new view vs. the old view:
Not sure what was wrong with the old view...
Hello, @Istvan Hegedus ,
From here
Hi @elenushhh
Thanks for your response.
In this menu I found just some recently uploaded files. But I meant a file which was attached to the issue earlier. I thing there is some argument which can be used here but I could not find it. Or maybe I am wrong?
Istvan
@Istvan Hegedus Oh, I understand, there should be the attachments section, which in your case is not displayed?
If not, please click on "Create issue" and verify if the attachment is checked, form "Configure fields", maybe with the new issue view is not checked. If it's not displayed there, or cheked, you need to add it from screen config.
Let me know if this was helpful or if I can help you with something else.
I really do not like the new view. The Edit screen is gone and I cannot add existing attachments to the comment. This is why I put off switching, now we are stuck with the new look.
This is a known problem of the new issue view. You can still use the old behavior on the old issue view, though.
Please consider voting for the related Atlassian bug and feature request:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72208
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70200
Hopefully, they will fix this before getting rid of the old view...
Cheers,DanSTAGIL
[^attachment.txt] isnt working and files & images insert the same image second time. Wedont want insert a simple reference to already inserted image. We are new in JIRA Cloud and disappointed already, such simple and powerful feature doesnt exist. Programming this would take only half an hour, but it would save millions of hours...
Please add this ability to the new JIRA issue view. Our team attaches many documents into one JIRA issue so we should be able to refer to the specific document in a comment.
This issue dates back to June of 2019 and is now at the point where it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I use JIRA. Our team is seriously considering switching to a competitor.
Fix before being forced into the new layout doesn't look hopeful.
I just engaged support on this and they directed me to yet another bug, which is listed in their "Longterm backlog" with a Low priority. They have also told me, despite this functionality being central to our process, we cannot delay the new layout. We just have to deal with changing to the old view every time we need the functionality (multiple times in our hundreds of issues per month)
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74152
Atlassian SHOULD NOT FORCE the change over from old to new view. If such issues remain, dont force users to change to new view. I just hate new view. it doesn't have the same functionality as the old view. I still use old view and i am happy with it. New view can go dig a hole and bury itself in there.
Which competitor are you considering?
I totally agree. The new view actually HURTS our productivity. Please don't force us to use the new view.
It works when switching to the old view(right handsome ..) in issue. Then you can use de [^attachmentname.txt] in the new view you cannot add this.
When I try to manually type [^Test.txt] in the New View it literally gets committed like that. If I then switch to the Old View and Edit that comment it shows it ACTUALLY committed like \[Test.txt] and put that backslash before it.
You can remove the backslash in the Old View but it simply doesn't give you that option in the New View.
We need an escape character for that backslash.
You cannot in the New View, without duplicating attachments. Switch back to the Old View seems to be the only (hopefully temporary) solution.
Agreed, the new view is dreadful.
At least for me switching back to the old view is not possible anymore, so
Finally they are working fixing this
judging by the bazillion watchers we might finally get a fix for this for this incredibly annoying issue.
Another thing that's worse in the new view: the formatting buttons on the issue description should float down when you scroll (maybe in a collapsed state if they take too much space?) If you can't use markup-based editing you have to scroll up a long way to get to the tools if you have a long description with screenshots, etc.
So true!
Guys, try this.
So now i believe new view is default but you can switch to old view via the 3 dots. BUT that's such a waste of time. Switching to old view for all your tasks. If you like me where u have so many to monitor, switching each task is like hell.
I have a solution (maybe short term). I have been using this for past few days and it works well. So sharing for all you who wants to try this out.
PreQ:
So add requestly https://requestly.io/ extension in your favourite browser (please don't say edge. i don't want to know).
Once installed, open the app.
Import this rule. https://app.requestly.io/rules/#sharedList/1620860859887-JIRA-OLD-VIEW
Turn ON the rule
this just redirects the URL with old view URL.
Rule just redirects Jira url with ?oldIssueView=true
Anyway, try it. if it helps, great. One good deed done during work from home.
It's July 2021 and the only ways to reference an attachment in a comment are to either duplicate files or do the initial upload within a comment... Atlassian keeps making Jira less user-friendly...
Hi,
It is possible to insert the attachment using the old method by creating a transition and inserting a screen with an attachment field for upload.
For those who used to send attachments via API, it may happen that they do not recognize when the attachment is as an image by comments
Agreed, why is the raw edit view removed? It was too powerful? Why remove capability? Seems to be a downgrade.
I had an epic with over 30 user stories, and 6 testing files. Each user story used a different combination of 1-6 testing files. I attached the testing files to the epic, turned on "See the old view" - which just added this at the end of the URL:
?oldIssueView=trueAnd then I was able to copy/paste the 6 links, and use them in the descriptions of the user stories.(I then had to figure out how to switch back to the new view, which I eventually realized I could do by taking the extra info out of the URL)
You can include a previous attachment now by opening the overflow menu and selecting the "Attachment on this issue" option. A dialog will show the list of attachments. Select one and the in-line attachment link will be inserted into the comment.
The "Add image, video, or file" icon uploads a new file as an attachment and inserts a link. To reuse an existing attachment, use the overflow menu.
[^attachment.txt] works both in description and in comments on Atlassian Jira v9.x.y. It sadly still doesn't open the regular attachment viewer but it at least opens the attachment.
That's something, at least.
Is there a way to simply link some text to the attached item?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.