Hi All,
I am new to Confluence and i am creating a new SPACE for my team.
I have a soft link "URL" and i am looking to open in new tab if any one click on it.
Please suggest.
Thank you in Advance.
Hi @venkat,
As per our documentation Links, Confluence doesn't provide an option to configure a link to open in a new window or tab. Users can choose to right click / CTRL+click the link if they want to open it in a particular way.
A free option is to get Link Opener for Confluence plugin in Atlassian Marketplace.
Hope this answer can help you!
Kind Regards,Victoria S. | Atlassian Support
Hopefully Atlassian can do something about this as this is really very helpful to direct users from one page to another. It will really help us a lot.
I just proposed the plugin to our Confluence staff, I think it's ok to let a user decide wether or not he or she wants to open internal and/or external links in a new window.
Ctrl+Click does not work for this (at least in Confluence and JIRA), it seems like the shortcut was intentionally disabled because it should work by default but it doesn't.
As a workaround in CONFLUENCE, you can use the HTML macro
to embed an anchor tag with a target attribute in the following fashion:
<a href="https://www.google.com/" target="_blank">The Google</a>
I have verified this technique works, as I have a deep need for opening pages in a new tab.
For some reason, the HTML macro is missing from my Confluence Cloud installation. I only see an HTML Comment macro when I search for "HTML".
This is such a simple request but you are choosing to be stubborn, Atlassian. Confluence is such an outdated tool. You are lucky to have such market share, but it won't always remain this way. Multiuser simultaneous edit is not even possible, which really makes this a legacy too that I run into every now and then as a consultant, but never a tool I would champion. Best of luck in the 2020s.
Actually, simultaneous edit has been working for awhile. At least a year or so?
There is a security vulnerability with simply tartget="_blank".
The fix is to add:
rel="noopener noreferrer"
For further explanation read this page: How to Fix _blank Target Vulnerability | Perishable Press
Ooooo nice tip, Monica - thank you!
Depending on the scenario, you can also use the macro "UI Button", which lets you decide whether to open a link in a new window.
Heyo, was searching for a way to a link in a new tab the hyperlink taking the user away from the Confluence site completely. Seems like something something very simple that should be included in the link settings UI.I see this question was created in 2020. As I'm writing this, it is almost 2023. Is it now possible to do this?
I have the Same problem , it is Christmas and still not solved.
Really wish Atlassian would do something about it. A lot of people are asking for this, it's clearly helpful and would add value for their users, and it's something that should be very easy for them to implement. Yet this thread was opened in 2020, so they seem to be ignoring it.
still not working.. yeah its because of my company otherwise I would use larksuite
Agreed! Well put Paul.
I've created this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-75466 please vote for it if you also want to be able to set up links to open in a new tab (ticket for confluence cloud).
This is still a thing? Please fix this Atlassian. This is basic UX for a linked doc. Every person on my team makes the mistake of clicking the link expecting it to open in a new tab. This is default behavior for document services like Google Drive, so it's an expected outcome.
Please fix this.
I am with Jim and many others on this topic. It is basic web experience. Authors should be able to click a checkbox within the Insert Link and Edit Link dialogs to tell Confluence that this link should be opened in a new tab/window. Wether it is new tab or window should depend on browser settings.
Every other CMS I know has this feature.
I find it ridiculous that there isn't an editable option for links for "target="
I find it MORE ridiculous that Atlassian products (all of them - Jira included) seem to think that I want to open all links in the same window. WHY would I want to replace my JIRA ticket window with something associated with the ticket? JUST to have to return? WHY would I want to click into an external site from my Confluence documentation and LOSE my help page?
ATLASSIAN - make it make sense. Because it doesn't. Minimally let Confluence users decide which way they want a link to behave. It can't possibly be that difficult to code in.
I cannot agree more on this ^
Nice!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.