Hi there,
I am currently on a mission of cleaning up our repo, which has grown over the past 7 years to over 10 gb. I am migrating files to git lfs, use bfg repo cleaner and git-filter-repo to clean up. I set up a new repo where i only pushed one branch of the old repository and step by step do force pushes that clean up more things from history.
What I expect: a force push of a smaller repo size should also decrease the size on the remote, so that the bitbucket UI's "Retrieve size" should show approximately the same size.
What actually happens: after every force push, the respository size increases, sometimes by 500 mb sometimes by 3gb. The remote already shows a size of 7gb again even though a fresh checkout and my local copy both show sizes under 3gb.
In short: my local repository keeps decreasing in size but the remote keeps increasing.
What is going wrong? Do I have to run a git gc on the remote? is that even possible & recommended?
Any help and insights appreciated 