confluence upgrade:
- Prepped yesterday to go from current 6.13.0 to newest I find on internal repo: 7.0.1 (tar.gz file)
- Backed up linux files for 6.13.0 (59G) this morning at 7:30am CT
- Placed new 7.0.1 files... Startup attempt 1... (missing confl home dir config)...ERROR. Fixed. Startup attempt 2... 8:06:00 am CT... waited forever... seemingly doing nothing. Gave up at 8:50:05 am CT.
- Tried tinkering ... no luck
- Decided to go to our repo's highest 6.x version with an executable script to do the upgrade (6.15.9) atlassian-confluence-6.15.9-x64.bin
- Answered upgrade questions on command line... didn't let it start itself. (I have to modify 6 or so configs first)... so I did that and tried starting at 9:35:51am CT... still waiting with no sign its getting anywhere. Gave up after 30 mins.
Since I didn't let the first attempt start itself... tried a different approach...
When it asks me that question... this time... quickly place all the files I want to modify... then answer Yes. Last attempt around 10:25am CT.... waiting...
It reports:
Confluence 6.15.9 may take several minutes to load on first start up.
Finishing installation ...
Keep getting emails from our user base about: "Did you know confluence is down?"
It feels like some DB update scripts are not firing maybe... highest DB version using:
select * from CONFVERSION;
... matches the old version build number used when it was 6.13.0
The CPU use is small. The logs have been silent since a few seconds after startup. If it's doing something useful it doesn't indicate this.
Upgrading build numbers in confluence.cfg.xml doesn't help and isn't recommended anyway since it errors out in that case saying the DB and the config file do not match.
Shouldn't the executable upgrade script take care of those updates to the DB and the confluence.cfg.xml configuration file both... getting it upgraded and getting us back on our feet so we can use the software?
What else can be done?