Am I able to include a space in a label field? For example a user's first then last name, or does there need to be a dash or comma to separate words?
Seems very simple but can't seem to find an explanation.
Thanks, Jane
No.
Jira needs something to separate labels as people type. Spaces are the most intuitive and simple separator to use.
Many of us use _ to join words up
Thanks for the quick response Nic
Hi,
is there a way to customize the labels separator?
For example, is possible to set that space is not a separator and set that a new label is defined every time you type a comma (,)?
Thank you
Regards
Not without hacking the code that provides the label field.
Spaces should be allowed in labels. I am trying to create a label called "visual editor" and I cannot. Instead I have to put a dash in it. Who is going to search for "visual-editor"? No one. So now I have the extra task of educating my entire company to put dashes in their search terms. Very user unfriendly. And then that dashed search term, if I can even get people to use it, won't match pages where I've used "visual editor" in a sentence. This is a major roadblock in using Confluence as the place employees come to find information.
Is there a ticket for this so I can go add my vote?
We're on JIRA version 6.4.11 and I can insert spaces into labels using Alt+0160 on the numpad. I know there were some earlier versions where this stopped working, but I'm glad to have it back. Hopefully this doesn't get removed again because it's definitely required functionality for us.
Unfortunately that does not work on an Apple computer
Try Option+Space? Not sure if it will work but that's apparently the Mac equivalent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space#Keyboard_entry_methods
Wrong. This community has just started on a mini-project to clean up the tags.
There are over 18,000 individual tags.
That's at least 9,450 useless tags directly caused by spaces. 9,450. That's idiotic and should never have been allowed.
But it's higher than that. The 30% of tags that are used more than once, I've not done a lot of analysis on, but it is very clear that spaces have caused massive problems in them as well. People have reused two+ clauses, so we've got a huge pile of useless tags that have been used two or three times. We've also got separator madness (not specifically a space problem, but spaces are a contributor) - tens of thousands of tags that are duplicated, but not quite the same.
Good info, Nic. And let's not raise the whole case sensitive or insensitive kettle of fish!
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, Wrong!
It'd be great if Atlassian didn't have such big-headed moderators. While the statistics are very beneficial and appreciated, telling customers their desire for two word labels is wrong. I'm presently here because atlassian doesn't have support for the label "phone request". And rather than helping your the users, you've approached the topic with an arrogant tone that hurts community relations.
Labels: big-headed, community disagreement, rebuttal.
PS. I'll settle for suggestions on how to handle the above set of labels.
PPS. I'm not saying spaces are right for everyone's business case, but the idea that your customers are overwhelmingly frustrated by this decision in their own environment is silly. That your customers have to manually copy and paste non-breaking spaces is silly. Disable spaces in your own environment but don't lambast your customers for wanting a feature to work intuitively.
Need to have spaces in labels.
Enter, or comma, would be the most natural key to listen for and start new labels.
And I need a pet thermonuclear warhead. Please have a read of the conversations above, a statement of "I want" is pointless in the face of evidence.
To be frank, it's clear there's separate use-cases for Labels. Those who have been using Jira and Atlassian products for years know that Labels are for adding discrete searchable data points to issues for help in querying. Others seem to think it's for fuzzy searching.
Since labels ONLY work with = or EXACT match, those expecting fuzzy searching are going to be sorely disappointed when they discover that is not how they're implemented and not how they work.
@markusdrake feel free to disagree with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- but please refrain from using abusive language in the process. Thanks!
If a sizable number of JIRA customers want to use spaces in their labels, I would consider that to be sufficient evidence that it would be a valuable addition to the product. It's obviously a pain point for certain use cases.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.