I'm trying to understand what's going on under the hood with Confluence editor, in terms of which keystrokes and mouse actions cause server round trips from clients, and what might be going wrong when editor responsiveness to user input (keystrokes, mouse clicks) is slow.
I've used Confluence on the corporate LAN for a few years. It's not the best in terms of performance but it is basically usable from a response time issue unless large tables are being edited. That is, I can type and there is hardly a delay between the time I type a character and the time I see it on screen.
Now my employer will be rationalising a bunch of local Confluence servers into one hosted in a different region. My testing (using a recent laptop running Windows 10 and Chrome 77.0.3865.120, on a wired corporate network, FYI) indicates that there can be a noticeable delay between the time a character is typed in the editor and the time it appears on screen when accessing the new server on the other side of the planet. (Sometimes it is sub-second but slow enough to cause me to mistype, and at other times it can be 2-3 seconds.) Additionally, when I scroll and attempt to mouse-click to start typing in a new location, there is a multi-second delay in the mouse click registering.
Is there that much round-tripping in the editor, causing latency to be a major factor? Or is something else going on?
Surely others have hit a similar issue in the past.... in your experience, how can this best be improved?