I have tried a few things.
1) backup space in xml and import it over. this fails every time with duplicate entry error for mysql.
2) I created a same version confluence 3.2 and imported that data over.. it failed at 90% saying error finding a producing a stream for export properties. I did try to move attachments with this backup and I just read that it might be better to just copy them over to a new site. If I ever get this to go 100% I was going to try and upgrade it in place. The problem I see with this approach is it seems backing up a space does not bring over all the customer macros used and plugins... do I have to manually re-install all these?
Is there a way I can just clone a mysql database and then I would have everything ? spaces.. user macros.. plugins??