Editor’s note: The Welcome Center is a great place to learn how best to navigate the Atlassian Community.
“My question is SO basic. I don’t feel comfortable asking it here.”
“I don’t have nearly enough Atlassian experience under my belt to meaningfully contribute and answer other people’s questions.”
Often, folks who are discovering the Atlassian Community for the first time have two simultaneous reactions: 1) Wow, there’s a lot of great information here; and 2) Now that I’ve been helped by other members, I want to give back, but I feel intimidated.
The TL;DR is you should not feel nervous about being a novice when navigating the Atlassian Community.
It is a space filled with students, beginners, advanced experts and everyone in between. In fact, if you have questions, it's likely others have had or will have similar ones, so by surfacing it in the Community, more people can benefit.
A couple of tips:
It’s easy to do a quick check on whether or not your question has already been posed: Use the search bar in the top right and type in a few keywords related to your question (example: bamboo environment rest api) — you can also do this via a quick Google search.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Go ahead and post your question in the relevant product or interest collection, following our best practices guide, which suggests including a descriptive title and offering specifics in the body of your post, such as what deployment you’re using and any steps you’ve already taken to resolve your issue.
Secondly, if you’re hesitant to offer up a potential solution to a fellow member’s question, just remember: Atlassian tools are nuanced, and there are often several creative ways to tackle a challenge. Your response does not have to be absolute — you can say things like, “When I was in a similar situation, this is how I approached it...” and it just might spark ideas for others. The more you answer, the more confident you become, and we’ve even got a badge for that.
All members add value to the Atlassian Community, so we encourage you to dive in and see what you can discover — you may surprise yourself.
