I am new to Confluence and trying to determine if we can use it as a structured document repository for process and problem resolution documents. The documents apply to a range of products across which some components and corresponding documentation are shared. In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to create a template where the author/page owner selects the product(s) to which the page applies and the page then automatically displays in the tree for the appropriate product(s). However, there doesn't seem to be a way to let users select multiple variables from a list or choose a subset from a list of predefined labels as part of a template.
So far, Scroll Versions seems like the closest solution if we build out the product with the most shared content first, but doesn't appear to be a perfect solution. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for other solutions to consider?
I'm also concerned about the tree getting too many levels deep to navigate. In my head, it looks something like this:
Team Space
- Product 1
-- Installation
--- Component 1
--- Component 2
-- Troubleshooting
--- Component 1
--- Component 2
etc. with several products and a long list of components (some duplicated) for each product.
Are there best practices for keeping the navigation from becoming overwhelming for users?