Hi,
I'm trying to improve the quality of our internal reporting. One of our key metrics is opened support tickets vs closed, which I report to people on a weekly and monthly basis.
I've had a great deal of trouble finding accurate and internally coherent methods for these figures however, which feels counter-intuitive given the simplicity of the query. I'll try to explain the issues I've encountered so far:
- I initially used JSD reporting tools to query open/closed tickets. For the former I would use the 'created' series and simply define the project in the query. For the latter i would do the same with the 'resolved' series. The data I get out of this however, does not match that which i get from manually running functionally identical queries in the issue navigator. My theory on this is that it is due to the reporting module being limited to a single calendar year though the specifics of this I am not certain on.
- The reporting module is also limited to point in time reviews. I'm expected to provide statistics that line up week to week. Eg
Week 1 - 300 open
Week 2 - 20 opened, 30 closed
Week 2 total - 290 open
The point in time nature of the report i believe causes overlap or gaps between reports on a week to week basis. For example, if I produce week 1's report at 1320 on Monday but week 2's report at 1030 on the following Monday, it seems that week 2's report will contain tickets raised before the last report went live. As such, when comparing week to week ticket volume changes to opened/closed levels, it's rare that the numbers line up. - In lieu of this uncertainty I've attempted to use manual queries in Issue Navigator for my reporting and exporting these to excel to trim them to the exact time frame needed (ie. 1320 week 1 - 1030 week 2). However even when employing these steps I still encounter discrepancies between the volume of opened/closed tickets and the number of open tickets. My queries for this are
Project = servicedesk and created date = [daterange]
and:
Project - service desk and resolved date = [daterange]
I'm wondering if this could be due to tickets being reopened and thus adding to the total open tickets count without being counted towards the created count.
Of the 3 metrics I'm working with here, the only one I'm really confident in is that of currently open tickets. If anyone could advise on a more reliable way of extracting this information from Jira it would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Ollie