I have a “chicken or the egg” dilema! 😊
We started using Jira a few weeks ago, and would like to use Portfolio to plan and manage our product roadmap. Our system consists of several products, and we have assigned a project/board to each product.
A new "system" feature (Initiative) will typically include activities (Epics and Stories) across several project/products.
So here is my dilemma/question:
From where in Jira should we do our highest level of task breakdown when we discuss new Initiatives? This activity will involve:
- Breaking down of Initiatives into Epics and Stories that belong to different projects/boards
- Populating these Epics and Stories to different projects/boards.
In the very beginning, our project boards are empty, and as far as I know to make an aggregated Plan in Portfolio one has to pull information from projects or boards. So where do we start?!
Should we make a dedicated project just for the sake of doing our “system planning”? And pull the information from there to make our very first Portfolio plan?
I appreciate all help and support.
Thanks
Daniel