Our team is currently using multiple different platforms to oversee projects. The project owners use one platform, and programmers/QA use Jira. I'm trying to get Jira to the point where it's easy to keep tabs on projects from a high level, allowing them to delegate quickly, and identify bottlenecks/blockers based on what department's task(s) are blocked.
A big, BIG goal is having screens where people can filter for items assigned to them, and have a moderate level of detail available in the search screen's results (% complete, status, labels, etc.)
The hierarchy I'm imagining is pretty basic:
1. Project (the actual project, always assigned to the project owner)
2. Epic - these will be departments; art department, QA, programming, etc. They will be assigned to the leads within each department.
3. Tasks - within each Epic (department), there will be tasks assigned to various people in each department
4. Sub-Tasks - within each Task, assigned appropriately within each dept.
This setup is pretty easy. I am running into difficulty in a few places:
Problem 1: Creating search result views that will show varying levels of detail based on what level you're looking at, like if the project owner saw their project was 75% done, they could instantly see which area was being held up without having to open each epic (open to ideas of how this could be done, but I would think the project's status could update based on what was going on with the Epics - See Problem 2).
Problem 2: Completion dependencies - I have Epic A, with Tasks 1 and 2, and Tasks 1 and 2 have Sub-Tasks a, b, c, and d (each has their own set)
Task 2 is 100% complete.
Task 1's Sub-Tasks a, b, and c are complete. Sub-Task d is not complete, so Task 1 should show 75% complete.
(Stay with me...)
With Task 2 at 100% complete, and Task 1 at 75% complete, the Epic should show 88% complete. Right now, Epics do not reflect the completion of the sub-issues.
I can't figure out a way to configure a quick screen where a project owner could see this (back to Problem 1)
Any help would be phenomenal. Thanks!