I have two tabs that contain a list of activities that need to be performed for users of a project. The tabs don't appear if no boxes are checked on a View (known issue), and only checked boxes appear in a View, not the entire list. My users do not want to have to edit the issue to see how many activities have started or been completed.
I set up a custom field of Checkboxes choosing multiple values using checkboxes. 
However, once the boxes are checked, they all run together on the issue. That was unexpected.

The user has to edit the list to see the actual checkboxes.

Question 1: Is it accurate to say that I will need a separate checkbox for each line item / activity to avoid the run-on issue?
Question 2: Is it possible to set a default value like a "?" so that they're not null, but can still be checked by the user? When I looked at defaults, it only had defaults for the text, not the checkbox.
Thank you for any suggestions!