Is it possible to determine that people who sign up through the login page are automatically added to a specific group in Confluence? I need to have some control over who comes in.
Hallo Pohlvault
If your Confluence site is connected to an LDAP server, then you can auto-assign new users to a group. To make this work, you need to choose the the 'Read Only, with Local Groups' option when configuring the LDAP connection. The "Default Group Memberships" option will then appear. For instructions and implications, see the documentation:
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory#ConnectingtoanLDAPDirectory-AddingUserstoGroupsAutomatically
This would affect all new users, which makes the signups safe. When adding new users who need more privileges, the administrator would need to assign the additional groups. That is probably part of their procedures anyway.
I hope this helps.
Cheers, Sarah
This can't be achieved in confluence nor by using a plugin.
But you could write your own plugin containing a listener module listening to the UserCreateEvent.Afterwards it's quite easy to add every new user to a defined group.
Here you can find more infos about listener modules:
https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Event+Listener+Module
And the UserCreateEvent:
http://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/event/events/user/UserCreateEvent.html
Cheers, Philipp
Conversely, you could add everyone else to another group e.g. internal-users.
You can then exclude signups from certain sections/spaces by using the internal-users group.
Thanks! This is great news for me, since we do use LDAP.
As far as I can tell, if I do it this way, I need to do all user management directly in LDAP, not through the Confluence admin. Is that right?
Yes, that's right, with one exception. You can add groups through the Confluence admin. They will go into the Confluence interal directory (on the Confluence database) and not into the LDAP server. You can then add the LDAP users to those groups. All other user and group management must happen on the LDAP server.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.