We've been using Jira for a while now with just the internal directory. What I'd like to do is add our Active Directory as a source of authentication (and maybe Jira groups), and have it automatically fall back to the internal directory if AD ever goes down.
The usernames and email addresses of all the existing users would be the same in AD as their existing users in the internal directory.
What I'm keen on preserving however is the ownership of Issues etc, so that "JDoe" that is currently in the internal directory is seen as the same person/user once Active Directory comes online as a new directory (with a higher priority). I definitely don't want to start over again with "new" users. Obviously passwords between internal and AD would differ - but that's fine, the internal directory would just be used in case of a DR scenario.
Is this even feasible?
FYI, we are using Jira Software v8.3.1 on-prem, with Service Desk too.