Is it just me who has a shocking price rise for JIRA 5?
[Correction: Below I was incorrectly comparing our current renewal price with the future new license costs. The renewal license cost for us will be $8000 (EUR 5958) rather than the new licence cost of $16000 (EUR 11915):
http://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira#downloadlicenses-2
Nonetheless, I calculate that, with the new licence structure, in our company our renewal licence cost will go up from $4754 (EUR 3540) by $3246 (EUR 2417) to $8000 (EUR 5958), an increase of 68%.
Although a 68% rise is nowhere near as shocking as the initial 236% which I calculated below, I still think that this is a huge increase for us who have little discernable benefit.
(Ref: $1 = EUR 0.7447 from 28th Feb from http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ )
End Correction]
I calculate that, with the new licence structure, in our company our licence cost will shoot up from EUR 3540 by EUR 8375 to EUR 11915, an increase of 236% !!!
This price rise is absolutely shocking! It is a totally unacceptable increase.
We are an enterprise customer, with many JIRA installations. The particular installation I am responsible for is a download licence that has around 1500 users, and for this we currently buy a “JIRA Unlimited users” licence which for 2012 cost EUR 2960 + 19.6% VAT = EUR 3540. Under the new licence scheme, if I understand it correctly, we will need a “JIRA Enterprise 501-2000 users” licence. This will cost us $16000 (i.e. EUR 11915).
Other than JIRA itself there is nothing in the Enterprise package which has any value to us: we have our own dedicated software team which resolve 99.9% of the problems without any help from Atalassian, and the 0.1% of problems we cannot solve are inevitably design restrictions, so the 24×7 online support is worthless to us. The JIRA training appears based on JIRA 4, but because we are an enterprise we are currently stuck on JIRA 3.13, so the training would be worse than useless, since it would confuse users. The JIRA Administrator Certification is a 1-day course in San Francisco; we are in Belgium, so it’s utterly worthless as a benefit. Enterprise Customer Community? Who cares. Worthless. Enterprise Team T-shirts (5)? That’s about the only thing of any arguable value. I make that about EUR 1375 per T-shirt.
References:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing/?tab=download
http://www.atlassian.com/software/university/overview
http://www.atlassian.com/resources/training/certification.html