I must be fundamentally misunderstanding how fields in Page Templates work. My assumptions are based on my experience with a system called "XWiki" that otherwise seems to be pretty similar to Confluence. I'm trying to replicate similar behavior, but if there is a different way that this is managed in the Confluence paradigm, I'm open to that.
In a nutshell: I want to have templates with-field based content. That is, the page should be a mix of text-based prose and value-based fields.
I can successfully add fields to a Page Template, and when I create a page from the template I do seem to be able to fill-out the fields (as fields) as expected, but then when I save the page, the fields seem to have been converted to freeform text! That is, they're no longer fields.
Also, I'd like to be able to add an additional field to my set of fields in the template. I can do that, but that new field only seems to be available to brand new pages, that is, pages that were previously created with the template don't contain the new field.
Lastly, I only seem to be able to create a simple text field, a multi-line text field, or a drop-down field. How do I create radio button fields, checkbox fields, multi-value checkbox fields, etc?
I wasn't able to find very detailed information in the Confluence documentation about how fields and page templates work, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Jim