This question has been asked many times before, but the best detailed ones are from 2012, and frankly speaking I'm of the hope that there's a new option out there, so I'll ask it again and populate it with what I've found so far.
Please, let me know if there is another option and I'll edit it into this list in the hopes that this list might help someone else trying to do the same thing I am right now.
So I've been bashing my head off of how to move a complete project with many custom fields which are not needed from an old JIRA instance (6.1, no valid SEN) to our newer server in a different country (latest, with valid SEN).
Keep in mind that we're comfortable removing a lot of custom fields from the source instance, and in fact it's our goal to import as FEW of them as possible.
I've come up with the following options:
- XML Backup with Project Import (requires a complete setup of matching fields/schemas/users in destination instance)
- XML Backup with Project Import AFTER removing a lot of custom fields/schemas/users from Source and renaming some to match Destination
- XML Backup with Project Import in combination with Project Configurator, filtering unused custom fields
- Brute Force SQL transfer
- CSV Export / Import via JIM (prone to errors due to CSV limitations)
- JSON Export / Import via JIM (does not export attachments, nor custom fields at this time)
- Zapier (doesn't support mapping fields from one to another)
- Task Adapter (sadly a very limited amount of field support, no comments or history as near as I can tell)