The way we use Jira is to log tickets new tickets with priority set to "Unprioritized". We then meet as a group and prioritize the tickets and assign them to people. We've been doing this for a while and now have 1000's of issues assigned across the whole team. So, I now have 600 tickets in my backlog. Manually ranking them takes time. When I look at my backlog it seems to be sorted randomly, but I guess the new issues are just added at the bottom.
The question is what am I doing wrong? The list is unmanageable and I end up using Issues->Search to get a list in priority order and picking a few of the top priorities to put on the sprint. Should we not be assigning the lower priority ones until we get there? Should we be trying to rank the issues instead of assigning a priority?