I tried upgrading my Windows server to Confluence 6.15.5 and followed the instructions on https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html to the letter, but now the damn service refuses to start and I'm completely dead in the water. It says in the instructions
"If you run Confluence as a service on Windows you should delete the existing service then re-install the service by running <install-directory>/bin/service.bat."
First I ran into a message saying the JAVA_HOME variable wasn't set, which led me down a whole new rabbit hole installing the JDK engine, all of which was NOT in the documentation. Once I got past that, I realized that what the instructions fail to mention is that you don't just run the bat file. You have to pass in a command line variable. What's worse, remove only removes the CURRENT version of the service (referencing tomcat9) not the one I actually need to remove (referencing tomcat6). There is really no way to remove it, other than go into the registry, which I did. Now while I was able run the batch file with "success" it doesn't matter because the new service won't run either. I get this in the event viewer:
The Atlassian Confluence Confluence010612213423 service terminated with the following service-specific error:
The system cannot open the file.
The ONLY reason I was even attempting the upgrade is because I wanted to get the Wiki off my server and onto the hosted system, but was too far back to be able to use the tool for that. It's a great wiki once it is up and running, but clunky as f&%^ to get installed right and working.