I would like to put JIRA in one VM Image and the apache (web server layer) on another. But I am not sure if it's possible since it seems to be all integrated as part of the JIRA 4.3.4 standalone installation. Thoughts?
Absolutely - we've got a couple of them set up like that - Apache on one box and Jira (on Tomcat) on another. You just need to tell Apache to talk to the Jira on another box and you're done.
However, I'm not sure that's what you actually mean. Jira standalone is a package of Jira, Tomcat and HSQL, it does not include Apache (unless I'm missing something - I'm looking at Jira 4.0 and 4.4, both on Linux)
What do you mean by apache ? If you're talking about tomcat, well, tomcat is the container for the jira-as-a-J2EE-application, so you cannot separate them. If you're talking about the Apache HTTPD server, yes, it's possible and sometimes recommended to have such layout.
Well, you still can separate Jira out from Tomcat, but you'll then need to run it in another container, like Orion, Websphere, etc. If you're going to do that, then you want to look at the WAR/EAR distribution, which is intended for building Jira for any container.
For the record: me and Nic - we share the same brain. Sometimes would be nice to collapse an answer over the other.
Commercial support for other Containers besides Tomcat has been cut starting if I remember well with Jira 4.1 ?
Anyway you *still* need a container.
Nic + Radu - Yes, i mean Apache HTTPD (sorry, been in Websphere/IHS world for just too long to mess up Apache/tomcat all the time). Nic - do you know what settings I need to change for HTTPD or Tomcat to get them talking to each other? I dont see any specific documentation on the JIRA website.
And I probably have apache install on my box way before JIRA was installed, so that's why I thought HTTPD comes with JIRA
Thanks again for your help!
Important files when configuring AJP (other configs are possible):
# cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/proxy_ajp.conf LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
#cat httpd.conf (output cut)
[................]
Include conf.d/*.conf
NameVirtualHost XX.XX.XX.XX:80<VirtualHost full.host.name.com:80> ServerName full.host.name.com ErrorLog logs/error.log CustomLog logs/access.log combined ProxyPreserveHost On ProxyPass / ajp://yourjirahost.local:8009/ ProxyPassReverse / ajp://yourjirahost.local:8009/</VirtualHost>
# cat /opt/tomcat/conf/server.xml
<!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 --> <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8543" />
Sorry Nic for comments like that above. I do not wanted to minimize your Karma or to upset you. I know that sometimes my jokes are not so good, or that my English betrays me ... So if you find it offensive, pls excuse me.
Yes, support for other containers has been cut. Doesn't mean you can't use them of course, just that if you have a problem, Atlassian might not help (and aren't obliged to try). Also, we use different versions of Tomcat here, and the EAR/WAR makes that much more easy.
All the information on how to integrate Jira with Apache can be found in this section of the Jira documentation:
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Integrating+JIRA+with+Apache
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.