I created my Confluence space document. I've established my heading levels. I create a TOC with a bullet point list. Issues:
I see an extra bullet point with no text next to it. How do I remove the extra bullet point?
HI @Steve Wohl
This issue occurs, when there is a "Heading 1" line somewhere in the page.
So, you have to find this line and make a normal text.
Regards
Dominic
To clarify, use the view storage format and look for empty heading tags. Then you can see where it is and either delete or format as a paragraph.
Hi Steve, I also got this issue with the bullet point, when we insert the table of contents macro in editing section, try to start the content just adjacent to the table of content macro then we will not see the extra bullet. hope this is helpful.
In the TOC settings there is a "List Style" that defaults to "disc". Set this to "none" and hit enter then publish.
Old post - I know, but it's still pertinent.
What's happening is that it is rendering as if you've entered this:
-headingtag-TOC Your HeadingText -headingtag-
Steps to fix:
This does not work (but should, logically fix it):
It could be the version of FireFox I'm using, but I doubt it.
In my case, the issue was that my TOC itself was in a line set to a Heading. When changing the TOC line to be Paragraph format, the leading empty bullet went away.
Super common - good thing that was it.
I *REALLY* wish they'd do a real text+formatting tags mode . . .
That and get a 1:1 between visual mode and save - a lot of the things I end up pasting short-circuit it and get translated when it didn't render when in visual mode (IMO it's not supposed to right)?
That works for me as well.. Thank you Ken..
Found a better way to fix this. Once the page is in editor mode, on the top right there is source editor icon
In the source editor window, find the unnecessary heading tag which one of the element has and then remove it.
Save changes and voila!
omg thank you Ken!
Mind your firefox
I just discovered today that between Firefox version 92 and 93, there were changes (for example, the input type 'datetime-local' was supported by most browsers in 2012 but Firefox was not implemented until 2021)
We are on ESR 92 for certain Linux distros (special setup) and I suspect a lot of the 'weirdness' I've had with Confluence may be resolved by accessing from either Chrome or another machine.
It just happens to be one of those strange disconnects. When I saw today's update to this thread, the lightbulb went on.
It's including some sort of formatting character in the bullet list, try this:
Ah that worked in preview but not on page save... sos.
Thank you! This way worked for me
I cannot believe the extra bullet at the top of the TOC was due to the paragraph style set to Heading 1
Note, if you set Disc to None, as suggested by the original answer, it will remove all the bullets, which is not what I was after...
I had a header called Table of Contents which was also shown as part of TOC along with the empty line in the bullet points.
Follow below steps to fix it:
I used the Exclude Headings based on this
^\s*$
works in preview and on the page
I didn't try the include.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.