Last month, I upgraded my Confluence install to 6.15.1 using the same in-place procedure I've used repeatedly in the past. It started and ran successfully at the time, but now, a month later, a simple system reboot has resulted in:
Unable to start up Confluence. Fatal error during startup sequence: confluence.lifecycle.core:mananagedjobs (Start and stop the Managed Scheduled Jobs)
JDBC exception on Hibernate data access: SQLException for SQL [n/a]; SQL state [XX001]; error code [0]; could not extract ResultSet; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not extract ResultSet
Confluence is installed on an AMD Zen-based Proxmox VM server, in a Linux container running CentOS 7 (kernel 4.15.18-14-pve). The database is PostgreSQL 9.6 (9.6+181+deb9u2) in a separate Linux container running Debian 9. The database server also holds a database for a JIRA instance that's in a third Linux container; the JIRA instance is working fine. The three containers share a private VLAN that does not leave the VM server for database connections (that is, PostgreSQL only binds to that VLAN).
The sequence of events leading to the error:
- I applied recent software updates to the Proxmox VM server and to the containers (due to the MDS flaws recently announced) using apt and/or yum.
- I shut down the Confluence and JIRA containers manually, using the shutdown command.
- I rebooted the Proxmox server, which caused the database container to shut down in an orderly fashion.
- Upon reboot, JIRA came back up fine, but Confluence failed to start as shown above, and consistently fails the same way.
Troubleshooting already tried:
- I tried rolling the Confluence VM back to a snapshot prior to installing the updates. This didn't help.
- I tried stopping all three containers, restoring the database container from a snapshot backup made while the system was idle overnight the night prior to the reboot, and restarting the containers. The database and JIRA came up without issues; Confluence had the same error.
I tried looking for Confluence backups. I had previously had Confluence set to automatically take backups. It appears that at some point in the last few months, that setting was lost, possibly as a result of migration to the current VM architecture or the in-place upgrade to 6.15.1. So, I only have the backups created nightly by the Proxmox VM.
What is the cause of this error, and how can I resolve it?