I am trying to setup MySQL 5.7.26 to move my data from H2.
I am following the instructions from Jira (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html), but when I update the my.ini and restart the server I get an error saying "Windows could not start the MySQL57 service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to start or control request in a timely fashion."
I've tried multiple times with the new settings in different locations of the ini file, adding character-set configuration in the [client] and [mysql] sections also, but nothing works.
Any suggestions
I found a workaround.
In MySQL Workbench I went to Server / Status and System Variables / System Variables Tab. In the left menu, select "Other". I Manually changed the character set variables as shown below:
character_set_client = utf8mb4
character_set_connection = utf8mb4
character_set_database = utf8mb4
character_set_results = utf8mb4
character_set_server = utf8mb4
The system automatically updated the collation variables below:
collation_connection = utf8mb4_general_ci
collation_database = utf8mb4_general_ci
collation_server = utf8mb4_general_ci
After that, I created a new dbconfig.xml file using the Jira config tool and restarted Jira. I was able to import my backup and log in. Everything is working properly so far.
Note: if MySQL is restarted for any reason this configuration needs to be done again.
I hope this helps someone.
@Kash Santos
Hi Kash
did you check the log file for a more detailed error description
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/windows-troubleshooting.html might be useful
Cheers
Kurt
Thank you for the tip. Here is the error logs:
2019-05-07T16:20:22.958784Z 0 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for purge to start2019-05-07T16:20:23.021395Z 0 [Note] InnoDB: 5.7.26 started; log sequence number 25256752019-05-07T16:20:23.023071Z 0 [Note] InnoDB: Loading buffer pool(s) from C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\Data\ib_buffer_pool2019-05-07T16:20:23.023283Z 0 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.2019-05-07T16:20:23.046938Z 0 [Warning] Failed to set up SSL because of the following SSL library error: SSL context is not usable without certificate and private key2019-05-07T16:20:23.047693Z 0 [Note] Server hostname (bind-address): '*'; port: 33062019-05-07T16:20:23.048535Z 0 [Note] IPv6 is available.2019-05-07T16:20:23.049122Z 0 [Note] - '::' resolves to '::';2019-05-07T16:20:23.049786Z 0 [Note] Server socket created on IP: '::'.2019-05-07T16:20:23.072402Z 0 [Note] InnoDB: Buffer pool(s) load completed at 190507 9:20:232019-05-07T16:20:23.279096Z 0 [Note] Failed to start slave threads for channel ''2019-05-07T16:20:23.334425Z 0 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events2019-05-07T16:20:23.335581Z 0 [Note] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\bin\mysqld.exe: ready for connections.Version: '5.7.26-log' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)2019-05-07T16:20:28.745104Z 4 [Note] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)2019-05-07T16:53:26.047463Z 5 [Note] Aborted connection 5 to db: 'unconnected' user: 'root' host: 'localhost' (Got an error reading communication packets)2019-05-07T16:53:56.411200Z 0 [Note] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\bin\mysqld.exe: Normal shutdown
I wonder if the problem is related to the IP. I didn't have to set it up anywhere since by default it uses 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
Any ideas?
Here are my settings in mysql config file:
default-storage-engine = INNODBcharacter-set-server = utf8mb4collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ciinnodb_default_row_format = DYNAMICinnodb_large_prefix = ONinnodb_file_format = Barracuda
Database for jira created according to Atlassian documentation.
Database variables:
mysql> SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES WHERE Variable_name LIKE 'character\_set\_%' OR Variable_name LIKE 'collation%';+--------------------------+--------------------+| Variable_name | Value |+--------------------------+--------------------+| character_set_client | utf8mb4 || character_set_connection | utf8mb4 || character_set_database | utf8mb4 || character_set_filesystem | binary || character_set_results | utf8mb4 || character_set_server | utf8mb4 || character_set_system | utf8 || collation_connection | utf8mb4_unicode_ci || collation_database | utf8mb4_unicode_ci || collation_server | utf8mb4_unicode_ci |+--------------------------+--------------------+10 rows in set (0.01 sec)
Set database type to mysql57 in db.config in Jira home directory.
This is for Jira 8.X
I was having a similar problem to what was above. Turns out anytime I made changes to the my.ini file in Notepad it would default to UTF8 encoding and it needs to be ANSI.
To fix it I copied file to another folder, made all my changes, save as and changed Encoding to be ANSI. Copy/Paste back into the correct directory and then it works fine no issues.
Was kind of a pain to find, but I assume it has to do with the editor you use to modify the my.ini file which in my case is just plain old notepad...
I AM GOING TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH TO @G Morrow
I have been trying everything to get my .ini file to stick with certain FREAKING modifications...
Changing the location of the file, and making edits someplace else then saving as ANSI worked. I have spent all day trying to fix this character_set/collation_set on my database and you just saved my life! Something to note now, if anyone was having issues with Jira not being able to start with this parameter set: <databasetype>mysql57<databasetype> even though you were running 8.0+ jira software and MySQL 5.7+...
G_morrows and Bob S adviced helped the issue:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71060?filter=12844 --- issue I was speaking about...
Second Issue I was speaking about:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Issues-with-MySQL-5-7-and-Jira-8-12/qaq-p/1513631#M453618
Thank you again!
Little things matter apparently lol, don't worry it took me almost 2 days to figure that out. Glad it is helping someone besides me.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.