On November Atlassian announced that:
Atlassian will end support for Jelly scripts in JIRA 6.4. If you are using Jelly scripts with JIRA, we recommend you move to Groovy Script Runner, which will provide you with a more flexible option.
Jelly Script End of Support Notes
- JIRA 6.3 will be the last major release to support Jelly scripts
- JIRA 6.3.x and earlier versions should continue to work fine with Jelly scripts
- JIRA 6.4 will not include Jelly.
- If you need an alternative to Jelly scripts, Groovy Script Runner is the suggested alternative that works with JIRA.
Source:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/End+of+Support+Announcements+for+JIRA#EndofSupportAnnouncementsforJIRA-201411jelly
I personally really like Groovy Script Runner (thank yo Jamie for such a great and FREE! plugin) but I am wondering if this will be a 1 to 1 transition, why ending the support and how to prepare for the change. I am still using Jelly for couple of things mostly related to interact with the server (easy to set up based on a tags, stable, no need to check API for changes) and groovy to change things or execute based on the workflow action (post functions, emails, validation).
In general I would like to know if all things that are possible with Jelly Scripts will be possible when using Groovy Runner. I would like to hear some confirmation. In addition it would be great to have some few simple examples of the same scripts using both methods for people that do not know one of the options. @Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist], if you would like to give your 5 cents also on this topic it would be great. I am curious if you are aware about the change and how you think this could be handled. (Maybe you can think about a new feature Jelly to Groovy converter?
)