Hello there
I am running a Server based version of JIRA and need to be able to control/limit access to Projects on a per Project basis. To that end I’ve implemented the scheme identified by Robert Bradshaw (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-restrict-a-user-so-he-can-see-one-project-only/qaq-p/264391) and whilst this works it is somewhat involved – adding group access for the variety of permissions ie Issues Permissions/Comments Permissions/Time Tracking Permissions etc is a bit cumbersome.
So I was wondering if I could create a template permissions scheme (eg ‘template-permission-scheme’) that have most permissions granted to ‘any logged in user’ with the except of ‘Browse Projects’ that only the administrator has access.
When I create a new project (eg project_xyz) I create and add users to a new project group (eg restricted-to-project-xyz-group), copy the ‘template-permission-scheme’, editing this new project specific permission scheme to only allow users who are in the ‘restricted-to-project-xyz-group’ to Browse Projects?
I have tested this and it appears to work fine. Users in the ‘restricted-to-project-xyz-group’ see the project/issues but any other user can’t. They can’t see the project-xyz in the list and direct links to a project-xyz board fail so all good.
This appears to be much simpler/quicker to implement than the scheme identified by Robert Bradshaw but I’m wondering if I have missed something?
Does anyone have any thoughts / concerns as to why I shouldn’t implement my JIRA project access control like this?
Thanks for your time.
Charlie