I know that we can't rename groups in JIRA and Confluence. But I am wondering if we were to use Crowd for our user/group administration if we would then be able to rename the groups.
Here is the problem that I am trying to solve.
Groups are set up, for the most part using departmnet names. The company likes to rename the groups every few months. When they do this the group names are out of sync with the current dept structure. This causess problems for new people who have no idea what the old groups are. Or for people setting page restrictions, for example, in confluence. They have no idea what group to select. What we do now, is simply create a new group and put all the users into that. The problem is that any existing permissions are not automatically transfered to the new group. so if a page is restricted, or if a filter has been shared with a particular group, then it all need to be maintained manually.
does anyone know if the groups can be renamed, or have any other thoughts?