I understand that Jira assigns an overall rank and that rank is independent of other information on my issues. I'd like to use this functionality in conjunction with my kanban boards to sort and organize issues as they are passed to development.
I'm trying to accomplish a multi-level sort on a kanban board. I can build my filter so that it sorts by Priority DESC, Impact ASC, Rank ASC. This gives me the issue list that I'm looking for. However, when I try to use that filter on a kanban board (To Do, In Review, Design Approved, In Progress, Done) it throws me a message that says 'Ranking is disabled, as the Filter Query for this board is not ordered by ascending Rank. Please check your filter configuration. If I 'enable ranking' on the board it changes the multi attribute sort to just ORDER By Rank ASC. 
I'd like to use Jira's rank to provide importance within the priority and impact levels (e.g. there are ten issues with and Impact Level of 1 which one is first in that list).