Yesterday at some point we tried to save a change to a document in Confluence and it wouldn't save and gave an error (sorry don't know what it was) and then the site disappeared altogether.
I tried restarting the server (which also houses Jira and Bitbucket which both came back up. Confluence did not.
I checked the atlassian-confluence.log file and there are no errors for the time period in which I did the restart. There are a few other errors all having this content:
Servlet.service() for servlet [noop] in context with path [] threw exception
These are from several earlier dates but nothing in the last two days.
I'm at a loss because I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this without any error to go on in the logs.
EDIT: Additional information - the system is running on CentOS Linux and is self-hosted. Thought that would be relevant.
EDIT: I've tried a couple of things to get the system running again and it appears that there was a security breach. I found processes in /tmp with random character names running as the confluence user. Perhaps this is normal but not sure - doesn't seem right. So I started with a complete backup of the VM. I stopped and deleted the processes. I renamed my data directory and did a reinstall of confluence and the new version appeared to run fine - saw the startup wizard on the site. I shut down confluence and renamed the new data directory and replaced with my data directory - set the appropriate permissions. Attempted to start confluence and the Java process started and then died. Seems something in my data directory is causing the process to crash out. I don't know where to look for logs.
I've also tried resetting the install so it's fresh install of my version with my data in place and attempted an upgrade. Upgrade completes successfully and thinks it has started the process but the Java process is not running. Guessing same thing happened - it started and then stopped.
At this point I'm hoping I didn't lose my data. I'm sure the database must be intact but also not sure how to check that all out either. Really need someone that knows Confluence well to help with this.
Thanks
Rich