Hi all,
I'd like to understand the best way to break down a user story into tasks so that a piece of work gets delivered.
For example, we require the features developed in User Story A, to be deployed to a testing environment (requires deployment by Employee A), so then the features can be tested by the testing team, and so on, until we go live.
My understanding would be that I would write out a story, and then break down the tasks necessary to deliver story. Which would look something like:
Story A:
Dev task
Dev task
Testing task
Deployment task
The workflow for both stories and the tasks is set out as a simple: to do -> in progress <-> on hold -> done
Is this a correct understanding of how to break down and use stories? Once all of the tasks have progressed to a done state, as long as this has all been estimated correctly, the story can be closed.
We are discussing this internally and users are confused as to how they will know when they can start their piece of work. Some are asking how come they cannot "deploy" the story itself and I am left struggling to explain that they need to make a task for the deployment, and stories cannot be deployed (specifically I am getting requests for workflow steps called "ready to test", "testing", "deployment" etc. to the story issue type workflow).
Help?