I have one epic which has some stories as its child. but when I enter log work for any of those stories and I query the epic the time spent field is empty. How can I see the logged works of an epic?
I agree with MDA. It's never made sense to me why the "Sum of Time Spent" for an Epic doesn't aggregate from Stories/Tasks (and Subtasks) lower in the hierarchy.If I wanted to know how much time has been logged to an Epic (and only the Epic issue), then the "Time Spent" value gives me that. For other issue types, the "Sum of Time Spent" aggregates any time logged to "child issues" -- but not for Epics. So frustrating!
Try this in your Jira instance: search issues with JQL "type=Epic and (timespent != 0 or remainingEstimate != 0)", and use these columns in the result:
You will see that the first two ALWAYS match, and the second two ALWAYS match.
(For bonus points, search instead for "type=Story" and add "order by subtasks". You'll see how the Sum fields *do* aggregate properly for Stories with Subtasks).In my opinion these two "Sum" totals for Epics have been BROKEN in Jira for a long time.
P.S. I do NOT want to hear about third-party add-ons to "fix" this. This is built-in functionality to Jira that does not work properly.
Hi,
In your JQL, add this column "Σ Time Spent", this wall show you the logged time for epic
No, my "Σ Time Spent" is empty
You can see it boards, in Epic panel, if your board estimation set to show in time estimation and not story point, you will your sum for epic there.
If you want to see it by JQL or something else, you will have to use 3rd party plugin
It sounds like a bug to me.
In the mean time (until Epics show accurate Sigma Time Spent and not just Time Spent), let's do this. Run JQL Reports without Epics and show the Sigma Time Spent Column in your Columns as well as the Epic Link field. Then Group by Epic Link and add up the Sigma Time Spent Entries by "Epic Link".
That is what I need to do for a Report I am working on today.
Hi
You can try out our add-on to track progress of issues in Epic hierarchy on time estimates and at story points as well.
Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status
The add-on allows you to manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports along with multiple Time in Status Reports ( more than 6 reports).
Key features of Epic Hierarchy:
I'm still finding this to be an issue. This should be standard in Jira and we shouldn't have to install a third party app or JCL report.
Why must we be sold add-ons for common issues/questions.I dont get it 🥴
The problem is solved 'half" and therefore not solved.
The field ∑ Time spent summs up the time spent of the Epic and it child Stories, HOWEVER not including time spent on subtasks, no matter if you checked the box "subtasks included"
To make it even more weird, The time spent of the Story does include the time spent on the subtask as long as you check the box "subtasks included"
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.