I'm not trying to do anything custom or unusual, just a simple install on a fresh Ubuntu 14 server. I can't find any useful help online, Atlassian just says create a user and a database. I did that. Does not work.
I was able to create a user and a database for Jira, and Jira is happy. I created a new user and a new database the same way, on the same server, for confluence and it will not connect. I get:
SQLState - 08P01
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Protocol error. Session setup failed
The database and Jira and confluence are on the same server. Using the wizard:
Database type: PostgreSQL (9.5)
Simple
Hostname: localhost (tried 127.0.0.1)
Port: 8090 (the TCP HTTP port)
username is the same as the database name and I am sure the password is correct.
Test Connection gives the above error. I have found no solution after hours of searching online.