First off I just want to say that I love what both of these can do, no issues there. However I've had Jira and Confluence for over a week, and while I can get other people into Confluence without outgoing mail, I cannot with Jira. I host both on my local computer. Confluence Installed easily and saw my database right away. Jira did not. Jira flat out refused to connect to my database (PostgreSQL) on the grounds that it wasn't an empty database (which it was) so its using the built in database for the time being (temporary). I have been trying to get the SMTP setup so I can get users into Jira and have email notifications for a week. I have spent almost all day the last 2 days doing nothing else. Trying to get this to work is making me literally sick to my stomach every time I thinnk about it. I have a starter liscense for both and was under the impression that they are partly so schools can get it for cheap. I highly doubt many teachers can setup this as I've found way more articles and threads on this very issue from peole way more experienced then me (Im not very experienced at all). I have followed every step in every guide and still nothing, absolutely nothing but stomach aches and errors. Most recent was a timeout error that could not be done away with by simply altering the Timeout field during the outgoing mail setup screen. I'm also running windows Vista.
Real simple all I want is to invites people to Jira and get notifications to them, thats it. This is not something that should take a week to do. I should also not be finding so many with same problem streaching across multiple versions of this. This needs to be fixed and made simple. It should simply work out of the box so to speak.
Rant over, long story not short...can someone, anyone please point me in the direction of something somewhere that gets this fixed. I'm not an accomplished IT guy and find most of the instructions trying to help lacking. It feels like IT guys helping IT guys. I need a solution, an article, something for the brain dead and helpless like me to actually get this to work.
Please.
EDIT: I am so close to uninstalling and being a spoiled kid and asking for a refund. I have never had any software ever be this difficult to set up and use. I have never had so many things attempted end in errors. Jira won't see confluence in setting up a User Server it tells me that just my straight IP is fine, however the User directory that wants to refer to it says that its not. Nothing works. Nothing is getting set up at all. All me and my team can do is create basic pages in Confluence (they get error messages for anything other then blog and forums posts and blank page creation, I can make everything fin). Email doesnt work, nothing. I'm sorry but I bought these pieces of software to increase data and team management and productivity and so far I have wasted entire days with no outcome or solution trying to get things to work. Sorry for ranting and the wall of text but I am at the end of my rope with this software, my team hates since it doesn't work for them other then the most basic of features, and Im beginning to hate it because it has completely derail my work trying to set it up and I am now 3 day behind where I should be. This is unacceptable, for a productivity suite.
UPDATE: Confluence, through some miracle of nature, now decided to play ball and work. I can now send out mail, woot! I literally did nothing new, I mustve edited that server.xml file like seven times with the same info, always timed out before.
NEW PROBLEM: While Confluence is now fine, Jira won't launch at all. I followed all the steps to put the gmail smtp info into the server.xml file so on as detailed by a hundred articles. The problem is that the Jira windows service does't start or run at all now. When I try to force through task manager I get an access is denied. Hard to see if Jira now can do email when the service won't even start or run. Any body have any clues?
UPDATE2: Got Jira service back, still no email, brand new error, as follows
An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name [JiraMailServer] is not bound in this Context. Unable to find [JiraMailServer].
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:197)
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:149)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.SendTestMail.doExecute(SendTestMail.java:107)
at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165)
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:87)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39)
at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31)
at webwork.interceptor.ChainedInterceptor.intercept(ChainedInterceptor.java:16)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:35)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:225)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:154)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.service(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:152)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
log continues for a while, any ideas, I feel closer to fixing this then ever