I am trying to create a new JIRA Issue under an existing EPIC. But when I try to specify the Issuetype I get an error that the issuetype used is a parent issuetype. Please help with the Rest API code to add a child issue under an existing EPIC project type.
Thanks!
Figured it out. You need to add the Epic link Field as key in order to create an issue under a particular EPIC
I believe it is the same as creating a sub-task in Jira - you need to specify the parent issue
See this question and the answer for the details
No, JIRA will throw an error that the issuetype is of type Parent. Tried that already, didn't work.
Can you share your findings then? So, others interested, will be “educated”
Yes, here is what is needed to make the issue creation within an EPIC project work:
{ "fields": { "project": { "key": "PRA" }, "customfield_10830": "[entry.JID]", "summary": "Issue creation", "description": "This enables Issue Creation within EPIC", "issuetype": { "name": "PRA Requirement" }, "assignee": {"name": "[owner]"}, "priority": {"name": "Major"} }, } }
Important field to note is customfield_10830 which refers to the "EPIC Link" field. This is a custom field which will have a different number depending on how your JIRA instance has been set up.
The issue type in my case is a custom issuetype, but can refer to a standard issuetype within JIRA. You need to specify the issue type which will get created under the EPIC hierarchy.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.