I'm not well versed with bitbucket or git, my python professor had me use it with wsl for our class, and I've found it pretty handy for keeping all my computers up to date for the past year or so.
When I try to generate an ssh key (I can't just clone for some reason), it creates the rsa file, the public rsa file, and a file named known_hosts. I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't remember it creating that third file on my other computers. I went ahead and skipped the part where I add the key to the ssh agent just because I ran into problems trying to get that set up, but I'm okay with having to enter my password as long as it works, so let's not bother with that.
I'm able to copy the contents of the public file and hit save, but when I type ssh -T git@bitbucket.org, I get the message:
setsockopt IPV6_TCLASS 8: Operation not permitted:
authenticated via a deploy key.
You can use git or hg to connect to Bitbucket. Shell access is disabled.
This deploy key has read access to the following repositories:
nihil/cs2: default --
I can git clone the repository and it'll actually create it on my computer, and I can add and commit changes, but pushing them gives me the error "access via a deployment key is read-only."
I never really got an explanation on how this whole thing worked, he just gave us a poorly-made tutorial on how to get it set up. I'd really appreciate some help