My question:
What does your v8.x heap look like?
Background
I ran into problems because I did not adequately read and understand the Jira 7.x and 8.x release notes. I left the heap at 768MiB (crashed in hours) then 1024MiB, then 2048MiB (crash in 48 hours).
Now: I _think_ I have read properly, and I have asked a support question, \[THANKS Sergey, by the way for putting up with my stumbles] receiving the answer that a good heap size in my case is 6GiB, but that 4GiB may be OK.
I am running on 4GiB now, sort of as an experiment. My JMX is reporting heap use climbing, Runtime is 48 hours, the last garbage collection was from 2.58GB used down to 1.99GB used. GC is hacking healthy chunks back still. My instance stats are: Users: 21, Concurrent users: 10 ish, Issues: 237k, Projects: 87 (archived: 0), Custom Fields: 259, Workflows: 40, Groups: 18, Comments: 524396.
My mysqld runs on the same server, and is handling only jiradb.
top yields Jira and mysqld as memory users #1 and #2:
| MINFLT | MAJFLT | VSTEXT | VSLIBS | VDATA | VSTACK | VSIZE | RSIZE | VGROW | RGROW | SWAPSZ| MEM | CMD|
| 10| 0| 4K | 17836K|10.1G| 84K|10.8G|4.1G| 0K|-704K| 0K | 53% | java |
|3097| 0 | 23304K | 3508K| 2.9G| 92K| 3.0G | 461.9M| 0K| 0K| 0K | 6% | mysqld|
The on-disk size of my database is 1.8GB.
My arm-waving goes like this: There is enough heap now to hold a complete copy of the dataset in RAM, and have 2GB left over for working heap. That is heaps of heap! 
My disclaimer/apology: I am not a programmer. I do not have an abiding interest in JVM memory management. I admire those who are and do.