I have two organizations I'm trying to merge into one. I'll refer to them as OLD and NEW.
OLD has only ever used Jira Software and has a considerable amount of history.
NEW has only so far used Jira Core for business. It doesn't have a lot of history, but enough custom config that I want to keep it. It does not yet have any content for Jira Software -- the import from OLD will be its first.
This article says
Import overwrites existing data
This import process overwrites all existing data and configuration (including cross-application settings) in your Jira Cloud site. This impacts existing issues and attachments, look and feel configuration, along with users and group memberships.
The exception is portal-only customer accounts in Jira Service Desk. If the portal-only customer data is different in the import and the destination site, then we use the destination version.
Which I understand to mean that importing into NEW from OLD will first erase everything in NEW.
If that is correct, is it limited to erasing just "Jira Software content" in NEW, or all Jira content (including the Core stuff I'd like to keep) in NEW?
If it erases everything (across both Core and Software), is there a best practice for how to import the OLD Jira Software project into a Jira Software project in NEW without disrupting what's already there?