Ref. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html
I see from the doc above that new parameters are to be added to the my.cnf file.
The default charset changes to utf8mb4 for the MySql instance; but the database of Jira is currently still in utf8 (because it was created this way). Do I need to do anything to switch it to utf8mb4?
utf8mb4
character_set_server=utf8mb4
Hi @Schups ,
I believe utf8mb4 is only to support emojis - if you don't plan on using them, you can keep the current charset and Jira will work fine with these settings.
Let me know if this helps,
--Alexis
Clear, thank you Alexis.
But, what if I want to change the charset of the db so to have the emojis supported? How to proceed in this case?
there is actually an Atlassian documentation page that explains in detail how to do this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-744326173.html
Keep in mind that this is quite complex and should be done by your database administrator if possible.
Thank you Alexis, I didn't find this KB before. I based myself on a similar one: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/emojis-and-special-characters-for-jira-with-mysql-952604493.html
For changing charsets and collations, I proceeded like this:
Before emojis and other special chars were supported, I had also to update the dbconfig.xml via the config.sh utility. Via diff I find that it removed the characterEncoding parameter from the mysql connection string. I assume it takes advantage of the character_set_server parameter added to the my.cnf file (ref. Jira 8 upgrade procedure).
Emojis are now supported (expect for the activity feeds, which is a known issue reported on the KB I linked above).
Judging from the KB you posted, what I did seems to be equivalent. Do you agree?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.