I'm using JIRA for agile teams for quite some time. As long as the teams in the project were cross-functional, everything worked straight forward, no problems.
Now I got into a project that has component teams. All the teams are using the same JIRA project and use the Component field to distinguish between the teams.
Having component teams means that for a single user story, we need several teams to work on it in the same sprint. How do I do that?
The options I see:
- Use a Story type for the user story, and then create sub-tasks for the component teams. In this case, the component teams won't have their own Scrum board (as there is no Scrum board for sub-tasks) and the teams won't be able to assign SPs to their work items (as you can't put story points on sub-tasks).
- Clone the user story – one for each team – keep similar prefix title for all the clones. This will allow the teams to have proper Scrum boards, but you won't have a view of the real user story (the aggregation of all the clones).
- Treat EPIC as user story, and treat Story as technical task. The teams will have proper Scrum boards. When you come to look at the real user story, you look at EPIC type ticket. So far so good. The problem is that you lose some of the reports. For example, EPIC burndown will actually show the user story burndown, so we loose the EPIC view reporting.
I'm pretty sure my company is not the only company that has project with component teams. I wonder how such companies deal with this situation. I would highly appreciate the community wisdom on this J