We are in the process of upgrading our Confluence install from 3.0.1 to 4.2.12.
We built a new test server. Restored the confluence database to a new database server and database name.
Followed recommendation from Alyson Salcedo Dos Reis and upgraded 3.0.1 > 3.4.9 > 3.5.17 > 4.2.12
Other than a small issue that required me to re setup LDAP everything seems to have worked correctly.
The only problem I see is when trying to upgrade the Universal Plugin Manger it does not work.
It downloads the package and then just sits there trying to apply it. I have waited for hours and it just sits there saying it is applying. I am required to shutdown Confluence to get it to work again.
I have tried to just download the plugin and do an install. Same issue.
I was able to upgrade all of the other plugins with no issue.
I also followed the instructions on this question: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/56877/why-space-directory-is-blank per the recommendation on my upgrade ticket and it did not make a difference the problem was the same.