Has anyone figured out a simple solution for exporting a single JIRA project? This documentation indicates that I would have to spin up a new instance of JIRA, import a back up, delete the unwanted projects, and then make a new back up.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup
same questions are asked here check this
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/109233/how-to-export-or-backup-a-single-project
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/24187/is-there-a-tool-or-method-to-export-a-project-from-one-instance-of-jira-test-and-import-the-project-into-another-jira-instance-production
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/61448/project-export-in-jira
But none of those have an answer other than
"Take a complete backup and import from that a single project"
This is no scalable solution
3 years later and there still no answer for this.
and here https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/8623257
Hi Lee,
I'm not sure if you have been able to come up with a solution to your question, but Onna (http://onna.com) integrates with JIRA. You can index, process, and export data from a single project into a csv or dat file with its eDiscovery app. Hope this helps!
Hi all,
Because we have solved this problem many times with our customers in past, we have a pretty simple solution. While the recommended Atlassian procedure is safe and verifiable, however, if you have several hundred projects in the JIRA, this solution is not effective.
Unfortunately, Atlassian JIRA even today does not allow to export / import only one single project. However, you can help with plugin eg. "Configuration manager for JIRA" since version 5.x. I assume you need to import one particular project in another JIRA (for example, in a JIRA test).
The steps are as follows
I hope I've helped you
Best RegardsPavel JunekMoroSystems Support
For my own (rather specific) use-case, I wrote this script:
github.com/sgreben/jira-project-export
It uses the JIRA API to export a project's issues and metadata as JSON.
You could probably also write an importer the same way (I didn't need that though).
Thanks, giving this a try
Hi,
Is there a solution for JIRA Cloud available? Or would I need to perform my own engineering magic to create a solution?
I check the above proposals but none are feasible (Configuration manager only works for server).
Hi Armin,
Check out this guide on how to collect and export from JIRA (cloud) with Onna: https://intercom.help/onna/current-integrations/web-integrations/how-to-collect-from-jira
Hope this helps!
Mayda
Hi Mayda,
thank you for the quick response. I have reviewed the initial export description but it does not include the Project contents including JIRA security setups which I would require to export as well.
The project itself has no default workflow, the workflows from JIRA itself require exporting as well, are these covered?
Does Onna cover these open ends as well and then for JIRA cloud?
Please confirm.
Kind Regards,Armin
Onna integrates with the JIRA Software Cloud REST API and collects the metadata available from that API. We support exports as well. Please feel free to email me at mayda@onna.com if you have any further questions.
Jira indicates you can import JSON files, although I have not been able to make it work.
Maybe others have had success?
Still no options available. This is a feature that would make it easier for you to migrate to another service, which is why it will never be implemented.
Thank you for this solution but it only works for JIRA server. For cloud users this is not available as of now (reviewing the website of the product).
Armin
Hi Everyone,
All the issues in a single project can be exported in the formats below.
Go to the project>>search for issues>> Advance search>> search with the project name >> Click on Export and select the desired format.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anil
But you will not get Metadata around the project like Workflows, Custom Fields, etc.
As mentioned before, Config Manager from Botron or Project Configurator from Adaptavist can help here.
Yes, Metadata cannot be exported. The above method is to have a backup/to import all the issues in a project to a new JIRA instance using a csv.
What about using "Project Configurator for Jira" ? It supports export and import.
6 years later and still no answer
This is a good option though not if you are using the Cloud version of Jira so it seems.
Another year down, and it seems its the same. I'm beginning to think you are right, Adam. Too bad, though. This is pretty useful functionality for "enterprise" style/grade software and processes.
I would like to recommend to everyone to login and vote for this issue:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-2741
there is also a linked Cloud edition issue there.
Running into this situation where I am not able to install Cloud migration assistant from JIRA server as we are on a older version and not able to export/import because there simply is not an option!
Moreover, sometimes all one would want is the configuration and metadata, not the data at all. A truly complete solution would be a project export tool that could be scripted, but also has a nice admin wizard around it, and gave the options to export project config, issue data, or both.
7 years
Yes, I have the same requirement. Need to deliver export of customer Jira project and don't want to share all of my projects off course! @Atlassian, any plans for a simple single project export feature? can't be too difficult I would say
It's a bit poor to need a third party plugin for standard features like this in a polished and pricey product like JIRA.
Hi everyone! hope you are all safe and well.
If someone is interested, I would love to chat and get your input regarding a possible future solution for Cloud to Cloud migrations in Jira. Please contact us at projectconfigurator@adaptavist.com and we could chat more about these possibilities! Your use case seems really valuable and I would be glad to hear more.
Best regards
Jannina
How about you contact us since we'd be the ones who'd be supplying you with the requirements to make other customers happy.
Consider this a formal invitation.
hi Marcelo!
I dont have your email address to reach out to you, but if you would drop me an email to projectconfigurator@adaptavist.com that would be great. I'll pick it up from there immediately once I see it.
Have a great weekend
Hey all, Rewind backups for Jira Cloud already has automated backups and restores for Projects (and other Jira data), and we'll be launching a self-serve Export option later this year.
Check it out: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226389/rewind-backups
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.